Applying for the job
If you decide to apply for a role at EWOQ, read our advice on writing and submitting your application to give yourself the best chance.
Each EWOQ role has a position description that outlines the skills, experience and qualifications you need to perform the role.
Before you apply, read the position description to decide whether it’s right for you and how to apply.
Position descriptions can change at any time—for example, the duties of the role may change—but the role itself won’t change.
Consider the following sections of the position description when you write your application:
This section outlines the main duties of the role. Read it to understand the duties you would perform.
What we are looking for
We are all leaders in the Queensland public sector, regardless of role or classification level, or whether we formally manage or lead people. Leadership is about working with others to successfully produce results.
Read the Leadership competencies for Queensland to see what success looks like when a person demonstrates leadership effectively.
Appointments in the public sector are based on merit. To assess your merit, we examine:
- what you’ve done previously
- the knowledge, skills and experience you’ve built
- your potential for development
- your personal qualities.
If the position description outlines mandatory requirements, write about your ability to meet these requirements in your application.
You may need to provide:
- a 2-page statement addressing all the criteria or 2 specific questions relating to the role
- an up-to-date resume that briefly outlines your work experience, including where you’ve worked, duties you’ve performed and periods of employment
- contact details for 2 referees with a thorough knowledge of your work performance and conduct over the previous 2 years (including a current or immediately past supervisor).
After you read the position description for the role, complete the application requirements. You may need to write a cover letter, resume and/or statement about selection criteria.
Get great advice on writing a job application from the Queensland Government:
After writing you application and gathering all the required documents, you need to lodge your application online through the SmartJobs website.
By applying online, you can track applications, update personal details and withdraw applications.
We don’t accept:
- hand-delivered applications
- applications from recruitment agencies.
However, you can email your resume to email@example.com at any time and we may consider you for suitable roles.
How to apply online
- Browse to the web page with the role you’re applying for.
- Click the ‘Apply online’ button at the bottom of the page.
- Log into your account when prompted. If this is the first time you’ve applied through SmartJobs, create a ‘My SmartJob’ account by clicking the ‘Register’ button.
- Follow the instructions to provide the required information and upload your documents.
You must submit your application by the closing date and time listed on the advertisement and position description.
SmartJobs doesn’t accept late submissions.
Selection panel members may consider late applications in specific circumstances. Contact the contact person in your position description to discuss.
If you get approval for a late application, contact Corporate Administration Agency (CAA) on (07) 3003 2341 or (07) 3003 2336 (9am–5pm, Monday–Friday) to arrange submission.
How we treat applications
We treat all applications in confidence. Your application remains current for 12 months and we may consider you for other vacancies if relevant.
Issues and queries
If you have technical trouble when accessing SmartJobs, call 13QGOV (13 74 68).
If you can’t apply online for some reason, contact CAA for other options.
If you have questions about the role before or during the selection process, or about your application once the job has closed, contact your contact person.
You can withdraw your online application before the closing date via the ‘My applications’ page of ‘My SmartJob’.
If you withdraw your application, you can’t reapply for the same role online.
To reapply for the role, ask your contact person for options.